Monday, April 29, 2013

Give It Away

When I first became a Christian I didn't understand the whole 'give it away'. My mind could not wrap up the whole abundance promise. I did not understand that I should give items, money, food, clothing that I worked so hard for to people who I believed (yes, who I believed) and who I  felt (yes, who I felt) should not have it....I did not know I was selfish or greedy.

I mean, if someone needed money and I had extra I gave it to them. If someone needed lunch and I had extra money I gave them money to get lunch. If someone needed a shirt and I had an extra one,I gave them one. If someone needed a shoulder to cry on and I had extra time I gave it to them to cry on. If someone needed someone to talk to and I had extra time I would listen. I mean, I was busy. I worked for a living, I needed time for myself, I needed to shop and cook....I mean, yes, if I had extra of anything I gave it to anyone in need. I didn't make much money so very seldom did I have extra money. I was so busy, very seldom did I have extra time. My closet, well,  I loved all of my clothes, I didn't have any extra to give away.

How humbling it was when the realization hit me, it was not out of my 'extra' that He wanted me to give. I mean, I have to confess that I do not think I would ever think of anything I had as extra. I could not find the word extra in the Bible when talking of giving. Nope, nothing. I could find nowhere in the Bible where God spoke of "hey, if you have extra food give it away" "find yourself with extra money, donate it" "closet full and found a shirt you don't like? Give it away"; "when you find yourself with extra time, let someone cry on your shoulder or when they call on the phone, listen."

I am here to tell you, that it is nowhere. In fact, what it all boils down to is...........to give out of the abundance you already have. Not to wait for extra... but now, right now. Give your time, money, shirts, shoulder, ear.........now, even when racing against the clock, even when it is going to take all your time............your precious time, yes, all of it.........it's all His. He is the Creator and Father of time....not you, not the seasons, not the universe....God, I AM, Him, Abba, Yahweh.....

And, then? He will bless you more than you could ever imagine. The more we give to Him and what He has called us to do............. the more we gain.


"One man gives freely, yet gains even more; another withholds unduly, but comes to poverty" ~ Proverbs 11:24

He has already given us all the extra we will ever need....

Me

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for stopping by, it's always great to hear from people!